Plot & Details
In this provocative sci-fi drama from Alain Resnais, a man wakes up in a hospital after an attempted suicide. He has invented a time machine that has proven effective, but only transports the subject back in time for one minute. Upon his release, he gets his hands on the machine to go back to a time he fondly remembers spending with a woman he apparently has feelings about. The two stroll on the beach before she leaves for Scotland. He follows her, but tragedy ensues and it is not clear if he has killed her or if she died an accidental death. The time-machine angle of the film features a dreamlike series of flashbacks making it unclear if the action is presently unfolding or is merely a vague memory from the past.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/04/2004
- Distributor(s): Twentieth Century Fo
- Director(s): Alain Resnais
- Starring: Claude Rich , Olga Georges-Picot , Anouk Ferjac , Annie Fargue
- Themes: Time Travel,Starting Over
- Tone: Cerebral,Literate,Reflective
- Keywords: employment,extramarital-affair,investigator,love,memory,mind,near-death-experience,past,return,suicide,time,time-travel,tragic-love