Plot & Details
Based on Paul Rudnick's hit Off-Broadway play, this romantic comedy centers on the chaotic love life of Jeffrey (Steven Weber), a gay man who swears off sex only to fall in love with his ideal man (Michael T. Weiss). Jeffrey's vow of chastity is inspired by a fear of AIDS, a prospect which has started to terrify him so much that he decides he'd be better off never making love again. He is happy and relieved for a time, until he meets Steve, a handsome, charming dreamboat who also happens to be HIV-positive. Jeffrey wants nothing more than to be with Steve, but his anxiety over the disease and fear of commitment stand in the way. Much of the humor falls to Jeffrey's friends, including the sharp-tongued Sterling (Patrick Stewart), an outwardly catty but surprisingly good-hearted interior decorator, and his young boyfriend Darius (Bryan Batt), a performer in the Broadway musical Cats. Nathan Lane also contributes a memorable cameo as a questionable priest.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/31/1995
- DVD Release Date: 06/03/2003
- Director(s): Christopher Ashley
- Starring: Steven Weber , Michael T. Weiss , Patrick Stewart , Robert Klein
- Themes: Living With AIDS
- Tone: Humorous,Reflective,Witty,Heartwarming,Irreverent,Poignant,Sweet,Gentle
- Keywords: AIDS,HIV,anxiety,celibacy,condom,friendship,homosexual,love,romance,sex,sexual-attraction
- Language: English