Plot & Details
In John Sturges'sAmericanized version of Sergio Leone's Man-With-No-Name films, Clint Eastwood is Joe Kidd, a cryptic stranger who arrives in the New Mexican town of Sinola, where Mexican bandito/revolutionary Luis Chama (John Saxon) has organized a peasant revolt against the local landowners, who are throwing the poor off land that rightfully belongs to them. When a posse -- financed by wealthy landowner Frank Harlan (Robert Duvall) -- is formed to capture Luis, Kidd is invited to join but prefers to remain neutral. Harlan keeps badgering Kidd to join up, and Kidd finally relents when he finds that Luis's band has raided his own ranch and one of his ranch hands has been injured. The bloodthirsty posse rounds up five Mexicans hostages and threaten to kill them unless Luis surrenders to them. One of the hostages is the attractive Stella Garcia (Helen Sanchez), and Kidd falls in love with her. Harlan notices this and throws Kidd in jail to prevent him from helping Stella and the Mexicans. Kidd decides the position himself as the voice of reason in this nest of disorder. He escapes and saves the Mexican hostages, determined to capture Luis himself and see that he gets a fair trial. But when Kidd captures Luis and delivers him to Sheriff Mitchell (Gregory Walcott), Harlan is in town waiting for him.
- Genre(s): Westerns
- Run Time: 87min.
- DVD Release Date: 08/18/1998
- Director(s): John Sturges
- Starring: Clint Eastwood , Robert Duvall , John Saxon , Don Stroud , Stella Garcia
- Themes: Lone Wolves,Mysterious Strangers
- Tone: Austere,Cynical,Gritty,Stylized
- Keywords: gangster, land, landowner, love, native, romance, stranger, wealth, west, allegiance, aristocracy, betrayal, one-against-odds, poverty, revenge, switching-loyalty
- Language: English