Plot & Details
Riding the trend of Korean action blockbusters after the phenomenally popular Swiri, Park Chan Wook directs this murder mystery thriller about death on the DMZ. The film opens with a shooting along the heavy militarized border between North and South Korea, which leaves a North Korean soldier (Shin Ha- Kyun) dead and a South Korean soldier injured. Hoping to reduce the potentially explosive political fallout by solving the crime quickly, both countries agree to an investigator of Korean-Swiss descent named Sophie Jean (Lee Yeong-Ae). As she methodically sifts through the evidence, Sophie learns that the testimony of two other soldiers -- North Korean Oh Kyeong Pil (Song Kang-Ho) and South Korean Lee Soo Hyeok (Lee Byung-Hun) -- are completely contradictory. Another witness (Kim Tae-Woo) tries to commit suicide rather than divulge information. Sophie soon concludes that a group of guards from the North and South, after years of eyeing each other, started meeting in the North Korean guard house to chat, fawn over porn, and to play cards. Why this informal détente dissolved into bloodshed is a thornier question.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,War
- Run Time: 107min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/22/2002
- DVD Release Date: 07/30/2002
- Distributor(s): CJ Entertainment
- Director(s): Park Chan-wook
- Starring: Song Kang-ho
- Themes: Military Life,Unlikely Friendships,Murder Investigations
- Tone: Humorous,Intimate,Tense
- Keywords: Korean [nationality], border [geographic], friendship, guard, investigator, military, shooting [crime], soldier
- Language: Korean