Plot & Details
One of the best-known stories from the Bible gets a new and decidedly playful retelling in this animated comedy, the first feature film from the creators of the popular video series VeggieTales. Archibald Asparagus (voice of Phil Vischer) stars as Jonah, who is chosen by God to help spread his message to the world. Unfortunately, his first stop on his evangelical tour is the city of Nineveh, where the residents while away their days bingeing on cheese snacks and arguing, usually settling a war of words by throwing fish at one another. Circumstances force Jonah to set sail across the ocean, where he's assisted by Khalil (voice of Tim Hodge), a carpet peddler who is half caterpillar and half worm ("but I'm OK with that now"), and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything," who are led by the well-meaning but lethargic Mr. Lunt, Pa Grape (both voiced by Phil Vischer), and Larry the Cucumber (voice of Mike Nawrocki). However, Jonah's mission gets a bit of a setback when a mammoth whale changes his plans. Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki, who provide most of the character voices, also wrote and directed Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie, and also created the original video series.
- MPAA Rating: G
- Genre(s): Family,Comedy
- Run Time: 82min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/04/2002
- DVD Release Date: 03/04/2003
- Distributor(s): Artisan
- Director(s): Phil Vischer, Mike Nawrocki
- Starring: Phil Vischer , Mike Nawrocki , Tim Hodge , Lisa Vischer , Dana Anderson
- Themes: Redemption,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Earnest,Humorous,Light,Whimsical
- Keywords: God, asparagus, evangelism, tomatoes, vegetable [food], whale
- Country of Origin: USA (10-04-2002)
- Language: English