Plot & Details
The competition heats up as a young man on the cusp of adulthood in Brentwood, CA, prepares for his upcoming bar mitzvah, and his father strives to outdo the gargantuan coming-of-age bash recently thrown by his number-one nemesis, in a madcap tale of Hebrew rivalry from actor-turned-director Scott Marshall. Benjamin Fiedler (Daryl Sabara) is about to become a man, though the prospect of reciting a language he doesn't even really know in front of a temple full of strangers is so daunting that it makes him wish he could just stay a boy and write the whole thing off. As if his personal peccadilloes weren't enough to rack Benjamin's nerves, his father, Adam (Jeremy Piven), and mother, Joanne (Jami Gertz), are determined to send Benjamin into the adult world in true style. Recently, Adam's rival agent, Arnie Stein (Larry Miller), threw down the gauntlet for his own son's bar mitzvah by hosting a no-holds-barred bash that made New Year's Eve in Times Square look like cake-and-coffee day at the retirement community, and ultra-competitive Adam is determined to prove that he can top that now-legendary party. When Adam's aging, hippy-dippy father, Irwin (Garry Marshall), rolls into town in a broken-down RV with his dizzy young girlfriend, Sandy (Daryl Hannah), however, it appears as if all of his plans to out-class Arnie Stein may have been for naught.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/12/2006
- DVD Release Date: 10/31/2006
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Director(s): Scott Marshall
- Starring: Jeremy Piven , Jami Gertz , Garry Marshall , Daryl Hannah , Daryl Sabara
- Themes: Class Differences,Suburban Dysfunction,Eccentric Families,Family Gatherings
- Tone: Frantic,Satirical,Madcap,Quirky
- Keywords: Bar-Mitzvah,Hebrew,ceremony,party,temple
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (05-12-2006)
- Language: English