Plot & Details
Fight manager Nick Donati (Edward G. Robinson) has just lost his best fighter to crooked promoter Turkey Morgan (Humphrey Bogart). During a party at Donati's apartment, a bellhop (Wayne Morris) kayos Morgan's boxer, who has insulted the honor of Donati's girlfriend, Louise "Fluff" Phillips (Bette Davis). Sensing a good thing when he sees it, Donati takes the bellhop under his wing, promoting the erstwhile pugilist as Kid Galahad. Morris is shipped to Donati's farm for training, where he falls in love with Donati's sheltered kid sister, Marie (Jane Bryan). Angered at this, Donati sets up Kid Galahad for a fall, ordering him to take a dive in an upcoming bout and betting his bankroll on Morgan's boy. Kid Galahad takes a terrific beating until, at the urging of Fluff and Marie, he abruptly changes his ring strategy. When Galahad wins, Morgan, feeling he's been double-crossed by Donati, shoots the latter. Morgan manages to fatally wound Morgan before expiring himself; as he breathes his last, he gives his belated blessing to Galahad and Marie's romance. To avoid confusion with Elvis Presley's 1962 remake of Kid Galahad, the earlier film was retitled The Battling Bellhop for TV.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/11/2008
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Michael Curtiz
- Starring: Edward G. Robinson , Bette Davis , Humphrey Bogart , Wayne Morris , Jane Bryan
- Themes: Underdogs,Cons and Scams,Boxers
- Tone: Forceful,Gritty,Tense
- Keywords: bellhop,manager,prizefighter,promoter,rival,romance,sister,victory