Plot & Details
The personal tragedy of an alcoholic hemmed in by a domineering wife is the focus of this drama of hope lost and regained. Simon (Christophe Malavoy) is a solo violinist in an orchestra managed by his wife Laura (Jane Birkin). Haunted by specters of his own inadequacy, he loses his insecurities in drink, but that only results in rejection from his fellow musicians. They do not want him playing in the next major concert, which puts Laura in a bind. She fights for him to continue playing, not realizing that he may actually need time off. Simon begins to turn himself around when he meets a recovering alcoholic who introduces him to AA-style meetings and new friends. They understand his problem from their own perspective, yet he still has his increasingly belligerent wife and his future as a musician to handle. La Femme de ma vie was awarded Best First Film by the French Academy of Cinema.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 102min.
- Distributor(s): Union Generale Cinematographique
- Director(s): Regis Wargnier
- Starring: Jane Birkin , Christophe Malavoy , Jean-Louis Trintignant , Béatrice Agenin , Andrzej Seweryn
- Themes: Alcoholism
- Tone: Disturbing,Downbeat,Reflective
- Keywords: alcoholism,husband-and-wife,violinist