Plot & Details
La Guerre est Finie represents one of the few "linear" films of French director Alain Resnais. Instead of indulging in his beloved flashbacks and flashforwards, Resnais sticks to a logical progression of events in relating this jaundiced tale of political activism. Yves Montand plays a tired, ageing revolutionary whose current target is Spain's Franco regime. Having become a familiar face to the authorities, Montand is no longer of any value as an undercover operative, yet he insists on leading a strike in Madrid. He is stopped from doing so by his fellow revolutionaries, who feel that Montand has become out of synch with the Movement. When Montand is finally able to complete his mission, everything goes wrong. Among the hero's "fellow" activists are Genevieve Bujold and Ingrid Thulin, both of whom harbor a romantic interest in Montand. The casual viewer might be surprised at the lack of action in the film, but favoring suspense over action is typical of Alain Resnais.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 121min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/04/2004
- DVD Release Date: 01/30/2001
- Distributor(s): Cocinor
- Director(s): Alain Resnais
- Starring: Yves Montand , Ingrid Thulin , Geneviève Bujold , Michel Piccoli , Jean Bouise
- Themes: Political Unrest
- Tone: Cerebral,Earnest,Matter-of-Fact,Deliberate,Reflective
- Keywords: Spain,love-triangle,political-unrest,striker
- Language: French