Plot & Details
Renowned character actor Joe Mantegna makes his directorial debut with this film adaptation of one of David Mamet's first plays, boasting such onscreen talent as Peter Falk, Charles Durning, and Robert Forster. Based on Mamet's experiences of working on Great Lake freighters while a grad student, the film centers on Dale (Tony Mamet, David's brother), an Ivy League college kid working on the Seaway Queen on an internship one summer. Though his romantic vision of life on the sea is soon dashed, he befriends a half-dozen members of the world-weary crew and learns about the unexpectedly rich -- and occasionally tragic -- lives they lead. This film premiered at the 2000 Los Angeles Independent Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/09/2001
- DVD Release Date: 09/24/2002
- Director(s): Joe Mantegna
- Starring: Charles Durning , Robert Forster , J.J. Johnston , Denis Leary
- Tone: Deadpan,Melancholy,Talky,Understated,Wry
- Keywords: college-student,crew,intern [business trainee],ship
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-13-2001)
- Language: English