On the heels of his award-winning, emotionally devastating 2001 drama The Piano Teacher, German filmmaker Michael Haneke weaves this disturbing tale of a family forced into a harrowing confrontation with a group of strangers set against the backdrop of a global apocalypse. In the aftermath of an unseen but catastrophic global disaster, a shaken family slowly makes their way to the presumed safety of a holiday home in the French countryside. Upon arrival, the family discovers their home inhabited by a woman and a horrified man. When a shot rings out, a life is taken, and time seems to stand still. In the aftermath of unspeakable violence, it appears that the only hope for a band of desperate refugees lies in a nearby train station and a locomotive that -- despite their most optimistic hopes and prayers -- may never actually arrive.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Art and Experimental,Horror,Special Interest
- Run Time: 109min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/25/2004
- DVD Release Date: 12/14/2004
- Distributor(s): Palm Pictures
- Themes: Death of a Partner,Class Differences,Post-Apocalypse
- Tone: Austere,Bleak,Confrontational,Grim,Understated
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (06-25-2004)
- Language: French