Plot & Details
This thriller about a mysterious psychopath was based on a novel by Georges Simenon. Edouard Binet (Philippe Noiret), an aimless Frenchman who has spent several years travelling in Northern Africa, is sailing to Belgium when he meets an attractive woman named Sylvie Baron (Fanny Cottencon). Edouard introduces Sylvie to Nemrod (Gamil Ratib), a wealthy Egyptian who is traveling with a cache of valuable jewelry. Sylvie and Nemrod hit it off and soon become lovers, which stirs an insane jealousy inside Edouard. Days later, Edouard arrives in blood-stained clothes at a rooming house owned by Mme. Baron (Simone Signoret), Sylvie's mother. It seems that Nemrod was killed aboard a train after his ship arrived in France, though Edouard claims no knowledge of the events. Sylvie suspects that Edouard is responsible for Nemrod's death, but the enigmatic Edouard has gained a trusted ally in Mme. Baron.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Director(s): Pierre Granier-Deferre
- Starring: Philippe Noiret , Simone Signoret , Fanny Cottençon , Julie Jezequel , Jean Rougerie
- Themes: Unlikely Criminals
- Tone: Atmospheric,Deliberate,Quirky,Stylized,Talky
- Keywords: Egyptian [nationality], adventurer, boarding-house, flashback, golddigger, jealousy, killing, maniac, mistress, robbery, train [locomotive], training, wealth, youth, greed, murder, psychopath
French Academy of Cinema
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1982||French Academy of Cinema||Best Original Screenplay||Pierre Granier-Deferre||Won|
|1982||French Academy of Cinema||Best Original Screenplay||Michel Grisolia||Won|
|1982||French Academy of Cinema||Best Original Screenplay||Jean Aurenche||Won|
|1982||French Academy of Cinema||Best Supporting Actress||Fanny Cottençon||Won|