Plot & Details
Documentary filmmaker Thomas Gibson directed this investigation into the rise of the Republican right wing in America, and how this has impacted the African-American community. Letter to the President explores the different way in which the policies Reagan and Bush administrations have damaged the lives of black youth, from the government-approved distribution of crack cocaine in inner-city neighborhoods to economic policies that have widened the divide between the rich and the poor. Gibson's film also parallels this phenomenon with the rise of rap and hip-hop music, and how these styles have provided a voice for disenfranchised youth. Letter to the President includes interviews with KRS-One, 50 Cent, Damon Dash, Ghostface Killah, Dick Gregory, Amiri Baraka, and many more; Snoop Dogg narrates.
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 85min.
- DVD Release Date: 06/28/2005
- Director(s): Thomas Gibson
- Starring: Snoop Dogg , KRS-One , Common , Ghostface Killah , Dennis Kucinich
- Themes: Musician's Life,Fighting the System,Race Relations
- Tone: Earnest,Reflective,Rousing,Stirring
- Keywords: African-American, Civil-Rights, activism, hip-hop-music, minority, music-scene, politics, rap-music, retrospective, social-change
- Language: English