Plot & Details
In this independent drama, Sarah Paulson stars as Acey Rawlin, a troubled teenager who discovers that she's pregnant after spending a night with a man she had just met. Acey has few friends to confide in, and her most trusted companion, a fisherman named Bob (Jeremy London), may be a spirit guide or just an imaginary friend. So with nowhere else to turn, Acey talks with her mother Anna (Ann Magnuson) about her dilemma. Anna, however, chooses this moment to tell Acey that she's actually adopted, and Acey sets out through a world distorted by her own hallucinations to find her biological mother, Sara Fulton. Guiding Acey along her journey is the music of all-night jazz deejay Downbeat (Ernie Hudson), who spins classic blues sides for Acey and occasionally offers advice and comes to her aid. In an interesting casting twist, Ann Magnuson plays both Acey's adpoted mother Anna and her birth mother Sarah.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 99min.
- DVD Release Date: 03/06/2001
- Director(s): Scott D. Goldstein
- Starring: Sarah Paulson , Ernie Hudson , Jeremy London
- Themes: Orphans,Kids in Trouble,Mothers and Daughters,Journey of Self-Discovery
- Tone: Compassionate,Elegiac,Enigmatic,Hallucinatory
- Keywords: biological-family [vs. adoptive], estrangement, fisherman, pregnancy, rejection, search
- Language: English