Plot & Details
Action comedy screenwriter Ed Solomon switches gears to psychological drama for his feature film directing debut, Levity. Manual Jordan (Billy Bob Thornton) gets released after doing 23 years in prison for accidentally killing a kid during an attempted robbery. Not having any place to go as a free man, he returns to the town where he committed the crime in hopes of seeking salvation. He ends up in a community center where he meets pastor Miles Evans (Morgan Freeman), who helps him out with practical matters like work, food, and housing. Trying to find redemption for his sins, he befriends Adele Easely (Holly Hunter), a single mother who just happens to be the sister of the boy he shot in the robbery. He also meets teenaged Sofia Mellinger (Kirsten Dunst), a rich girl with a drug problem. Still attempting to reconcile with his past, Manual seems drawn to interfere when Adele's son Abner seems headed down a criminal path. Levity premiered at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/04/2003
- DVD Release Date: 08/26/2003
- Distributor(s): Sony
- Director(s): Ed Solomon
- Starring: Billy Bob Thornton , Morgan Freeman , Holly Hunter , Kirsten Dunst , Dorian Harewood
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Going Straight,Redemption
- Tone: Compassionate,Poignant,Reflective,Understated
- Keywords: ex-convict, guilt, parole, redemption, reformed-criminal, remorse
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-04-2003)
- Language: English