Kevin Kline stars as George, a down-on-his-luck architect in this tearjerker from Irwin Winkler (At First Sight, Guilty By Suspicion). A disdainful local character who draws disapproval from the community, particularly his neighbor played by Mary Steenburgen, George sets out to change his life after suddenly losing his longtime job and discovering he's terminally ill (he has cancer). Attempting to reconnect with his estranged and troubled son, Sam (Hayden Christiansen), George endeavors to spend the summer they have together building his dream home by the sea. The laborious process leads to the rebuilding of dissipated relationships, the birth of new ones, and all-around healing.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 124min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/26/2001
- DVD Release Date: 03/26/2002
- Distributor(s): New Line
Kristin Scott Thomas
- Themes: Battling Illness,Haunted By the Past,Obsessive Quests,Fathers and Sons,Midlife Crises
- Tone: Atmospheric,Autumnal,Bittersweet,Cathartic,Heartwarming,Reflective,Talky
architecture, cancer, construction, father, house, parent/child-relationship, reconciliation, son, terminal-illness
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (10-26-2001),USA (11-02-2001)
- Language: English