Plot & Details
The extraordinary life of Quincy Jones -- one of the 20th century's most influential and talented composers, musicians and music producers -- provides the basis of this offbeat, free-form documentary tribute. With little regard for formal timelines and traditional documentary biography methods, the film is an amazing patchwork of personal insights featuring a constellation of music stars including his long-time friend Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Herbie Hancock, Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Dizzy Gillespie and rappers Big Daddy Kane and Flavor Flav, as well as politicians, filmmakers and other important people. Some of the most moving scenes involve Jones returning to his childhood home in Chicago and recounting honest and painful memories from his childhood. Jones does not shy from discussing everything -- from his mother's mental illness, to his marital problems, to his serious health conditions. He also looks frankly at his career.
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 116min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/05/1990
- DVD Release Date: 01/27/2009
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Ellen Weissbrod
- Starring: Quincy Jones , Frank Sinatra , Miles Davis
- Themes: Musician's Life
- Tone: Earnest,Reflective
- Keywords: behind-the-scenes, music-industry, music-producer, retrospective
- Country of Origin: USA (10-05-1990)
- Language: English