Plot & Details
Jodie Foster made her directorial debut (with a script by Scott Frank) in this tale of a child prodigy's search for social acceptance. Fred Tate (Adam Hann-Byrd) is a precocious fourth grader who has no problem with the most complex mathematical problems or in banging out a Rachmaninoff concerto on the piano, but is totally inept at playing baseball or dealing with children his own age. His mother Dede (Jodie Foster) is a cocktail waitress who acts more like a child than Fred, but cares passionately about her son. Fred comes to the attention of child psychologist Jane Grierson (Dianne Wiest), who runs a summer camp for child prodigies called Odyssey of the Mind. She invites Fred to attend the summer session, creating a rift between Fred and Dede.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/04/2001
- DVD Release Date: 09/04/2001
- Distributor(s): Orion
- Director(s): Jodie Foster
- Starring: Jodie Foster , Adam Hann-Byrd , Dianne Wiest , Harry Connick, Jr. , David Hyde Pierce
- Themes: Single Parents,Mothers and Sons,Child Prodigies
- Tone: Humorous,Compassionate,Matter-of-Fact,Reflective,Understated
- Keywords: adolescence, alienation, coming-of-age, mother, prodigy, single-parent, whiz-kid
- Country of Origin: USA (10-09-1991)
- Language: English