Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee adapts this Eileen Chang story set in World War II-era Shanghai that details the political intrigue surrounding a powerful political figure named Mr. Yee (Tony Leung) in Japanese-occupied Shanghai. Spanning the late '30s and early '40s, the movie introduces us to Hong Kong teen Wong Chia Chi (Tang Wei), a shy college freshman who finds her calling in a drama society devoted to patriotic plays. But the troupe's leader, Kuang Yu Min (Wang Leehom), isn't just a theater maven -- he's a revolutionary as well, and he's devoted to carrying out a bold plan to assassinate top Japanese collaborator Mr. Yee. Each student has an important role to play, and Wong puts herself in a dangerous position as Mrs. Mak; she befriends Mr. Yee's wife (Joan Chen), and slowly gains trust before tempting him into an affair. While at first the plan goes exactly as scripted, things suddenly take a deadly turn and Wong is emigrated from Hong Kong. Later, in 1941, the occupation shows no signs of ceasing and Wong is simply drifting through her days in Shanghai. Much to her surprise, the former actress finds Kuang requesting that she resume the role of Mrs. Mak. Now, as Wong again gains intimate access to her dangerous prey, she must struggle with her own identity in order to pull off the performance of a lifetime.
- MPAA Rating: NC-17
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Romance,War
- Run Time: 158min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/28/2007
- DVD Release Date: 02/19/2008
- Distributor(s): Focus Features
Tony Leung Chiu-Wai
Wang Lee Hom
- Themes: Double Life,Political Unrest,Assassination Plots,Dangerous Attraction,Femmes Fatales
- Tone: Atmospheric,Moody,Forceful,Menacing,Sexual,Tense
China, espionage, politician, world-war
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-28-2007)
- Language: English,Japanese,Cantonese,Mandarin,Chinese (unspecified dialect