Plot & Details
Director Alain Resnais faithfully adapted his script for Melo from a 1929 play by Henry Bernstein--the first time that Resnais handled his own screenplay. Violinists and lifelong friends Pierre Arditi and Andre Dussolier have each found happiness in adulthood, but only Dussolier has become famous. Ardati leads a contented life with his wife, Sabine Azema, little suspecting that she is enamored of Dussolier. An abortive plan to murder her husband leads to Azema's suicide, but Ardati remains blissfully unaware of her infidelities. When the truth is revealed to Ardati, Dussolier honors the memory of Azema by insisting that no illicit romance ever occurred. One of the more "linear" of Resnais' works, Melo, filmed in 1986, was given a general American release three years later.
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/31/1988
- DVD Release Date: 02/19/2008
- Distributor(s): MK2 Productions
- Director(s): Alain Resnais
- Starring: Sabine Azéma , Fanny Ardant , Pierre Arditi , André Dussollier , Jacques Dacqmine
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Self-Destructive Romance,Love Triangles,Suicide,Infidelity
- Tone: Deliberate,Gentle,Literate,Reflective,Bittersweet,Melancholy,Stylized,Talky
- Keywords: extramarital-affair, friendship, love-triangle, suicide, violinist
- Country of Origin: USA (01-31-1988)
- Language: French