Plot & Details
French critic and filmmaker André Téchiné directs the intense family drama Ma Saison Préférée (My Favorite Season), which he co-wrote with screenwriter Pascal Bonitzer. Family matriarch Berthe (Marthe Villalonga) is advancing in years and developing health problems, so she goes to live with her daughter Emilie (Catherine Deneuve). Emilie is a cold, fiftysomething professional who lives in a large upper-class home in Toulouse. She also lives with her husband Bruno (Jean-Pierre Bouvier), her daughter Anne (Deneuve's real-life daughter Chiara Mastroianni), and her adopted son Lucien (Anthony Prada). When Christmas arrives, Emilie's troubled brother Antoine (Daniel Auteuil) arrives at the house for a visit. He and Emilie have not spoken since their father's funeral three years ago. Despite his attempts to maintain control, Antoine quickly comes into conflict with Bruno. Painful emotional realities from the past return and cause violent conclusions. My Favorite Season was shown in competition at the 1993 Cannes Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 125min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/22/1996
- DVD Release Date: 06/29/1999
- Distributor(s): AMLF
- Director(s): André Téchiné
- Starring: Catherine Deneuve , Daniel Auteuil , Marthe Villalonga , Jean-Pierre Bouvier , Chiara Mastroianni
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Mothers and Sons,Sibling Relationships
- Tone: Affectionate,Reflective,Atmospheric,Understated
- Keywords: bourgeois, brother, dysfunctional, family-illness, sister, terminal-illness
- Language: French