Plot & Details
Twelve men who belong to one of the world's most exclusive fraternities -- people who've walked on the surface of the moon -- are paid homage in this documentary. Using newsreel footage, rare NASA photographs, and digitally animated re-creations, Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon examines the Apollo missions between 1969 and 1972 which put astronauts on the moon. In addition to explaining the technological know-how necessary to take our fliers to the moon, the film shares the thoughts of astronauts about what they saw and experienced in space, taken from their speeches and writings and read by a cast of distinguished actors, including Paul Newman, Morgan Freeman, Scott Glenn, Bill Paxton, and many more. Narrated by Tom Hanks (who also co-produced), Magnificent Desolation was shot and originally exhibited using the IMAX high-definition film format.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 40min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/25/2007
- DVD Release Date: 11/06/2007
- Director(s): Mark Cowen
- Themes: Space Travel
- Tone: Atmospheric,Rousing,Sweeping
- Keywords: NASA, archival-footage, astronaut, lunar-mission, moon, moon-walk, space-exploration
- Country of Origin: USA - IMAX (09-23-2005)
- Language: English