Plot & Details
Magyar Szépség is basically a Hungarian version of Sam Mendes' Oscar-winning film American Beauty. Comfortably middle-class family man Andras Herendi (Gábor Máté) is stuck in an unsatisfying marriage to Margo (Dorottya Udvaros). His teenage daughter, Erna (Gabriella Hamori), finds herself attracted to her neighbor Bringas (Ivan Fenyo), whose father Orosz (Sergei Ruskin) is a former military officer. While Margo has an affair with a younger man, Andras becomes attracted to Erna's friend (Agi Szirtes). Director Péter Gothár follows through with the rest of the original film's plot points, only the focus here is on the Hungarian capitalist lifestyle following the fall of communism.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 112min.
- Director(s): Péter Gothár
- Starring: Gábor Máté , Dorottya Udvaros , Gabriella Hamori , Agi Szirtes , Anna Szandtner
- Themes: Fathers and Daughters,Fathers and Sons,Midlife Crises,Crumbling Marriages,Suburban Dysfunction
- Tone: Biting,Elegiac,Irreverent,Lyrical,Reflective,Cynical,Satirical
- Keywords: marriage-problems, extramarital-affair, family, family-strife, marital-problems, mid-life-crisis, obsession, repression, suburbs