Plot & Details
This sci-fi comedy from Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) director Susan Seidelman stars John Malkovich along with several other actors from his Steppenwolf Theatre troupe in Chicago. Malkovich stars as Dr. Jeff Peters, a scientist for the Chemtech Corporation who has invented an affable robotic clone of himself named Ulysses (also played by Malkovich). Unfortunately, Jeff is long on brains but short on personality or warmth, leaving his double an empty vessel, emotionally speaking. Believing that if Ulysses only had a bit more spark he could be utilized as a publicity gimmick and fundraising tool, Chemtech sends public relations executive Frankie Stone (Ann Magnuson) to train him in the ways of the heart and human interaction. What Frankie ends up with, however, is her own personal version of the perfect mate.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/10/1987
- DVD Release Date: 01/07/2003
- Distributor(s): Orion
- Director(s): Susan Seidelman
- Starring: John Malkovich , Ann Magnuson , Glenne Headly , Ben Masters , Laurie Metcalf
- Themes: Office Politics,Robots and Androids,Looking For Love,Inventors
- Tone: Bright,Campy,Irreverent,Quirky,Stylized
- Keywords: creation, marketing, promotion, public, scientist, android, image [picture], love, robot
- Country of Origin: USA (04-10-1987)
- Language: English