Plot & Details
American-born French film director Bob Swaim directed this sordid tale of greed, deception, machinations and murder. The darkly beautiful Meg Tilly stars as Olivia Lawrence, member of the Hamptons social elite and heiress to a vast fortune, who becomes attracted to dangerous newcomer Tim Whalen (Rob Lowe). She unwittingly falls into his web of deceit, as he and her stepfather (John Glover) plot her murder in order to gain the $3,000,000 in her trust fund. Inspired in plot by the film noir classics of the '40s, Masquerade lacks the style and originality of the originals. The film noticeably lacks suspense; there is no sustained tension, and many of the characters seem included simply for the sake of bizarreness. However, Tilly manages to carry the film all on her own with her considerable talent and natural screen presence.
- Genre(s): Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/11/1988
- DVD Release Date: 06/01/2004
- Distributor(s): UA Communications Co.
- Director(s): Bob Swaim
- Starring: Rob Lowe , Meg Tilly , Doug Savant , Kim Cattrall , John Glover
- Themes: Woman In Jeopardy,Dangerous Attraction,Social Climbing
- Tone: Atmospheric,Melancholy,Ominous,Elegant
- Keywords: deception, greed, heir, murder, social-classes, stepfather, trust-fund
- Country of Origin: USA (03-11-1988)
- Language: English