Plot & Details
Writer-director Stephen King falls short in his debut at the helm with Maximum Overdrive, an absurd tale about a radiation storm that somehow animates machines across the world, causing them to turn on their makers. The film focuses on a group of survivors held captive at the Dixie Boy Diner by a group of bad-tempered semis. Led by Emilio Estevez, the diner-goers do their impression of Ten Little Indians, waiting their turn until each gets bumped off one by one. There are holes in the plot big enough for the semis to drive through; for example, why don't the trucks run over the diner at the start of the film rather than wait for 90 minutes?
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 97min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/31/2005
- DVD Release Date: 04/10/2001
- Distributor(s): De Laurentiis Entertainment Gorup
- Director(s): Stephen King
- Starring: Emilio Estevez , Pat Hingle , Laura Harrington , Yeardley Smith , John Short
- Themes: Technology Run Amok,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Tense,Menacing,Visceral,Bleak,Grim
- Keywords: earth, killing, meteor, terror, machine, rampage, technology, truck, truck-stop
- Country of Origin: USA (07-25-1986)
- Language: English