Plot & Details
An artist with Tourette's syndrome and an aversion to romance falls for his best friend's girl in this sometimes comic drama. Lyle Maze (Rob Morrow), a successful painter who's also starting to explore sculpture, relies on emotional armor a foot thick to protect him from other people. In addition to suffering from uncontrollable physical tics and loud outbursts, Lyle is also prone to obsessive-compulsive disorder. Afraid that his artistic gifts and his disease spring from the same well, he eschews the well-meaning advice of his doctor pal, Mike (Craig Sheffer), and refuses to try the new drug therapies available. He also rejects any attempt to fix him up with women. But when rebel-without-a-cause Mike decides to tilt at windmills in Africa for seven months as a member of Doctors Without Borders, Lyle finds himself in a precarious position. Callie (Laura Linney), Mike's acerbic ad-exec girlfriend, has confided to him that she's pregnant but unwilling to use her condition as leverage to shore up her troubled relationship. Soon, Lyle is coaching Callie through natural childbirth classes, playing surrogate father-to-be, and falling in love. Inspired by the documentary Twitch and Shout, Maze marked the first trip behind the camera for actor Rob Morrow, who played another man with Tourette's in the film Other Voices. In addition to directing and starring in Maze, the Northern Exposure star co-wrote and co-produced.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 97min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/09/2001
- DVD Release Date: 02/05/2002
- Distributor(s): Flashpoint
- Director(s): Rob Morrow
- Starring: Rob Morrow , Laura Linney , Craig Sheffer , Rose Gregorio , Robert Hogan
- Themes: Parenthood,Love Triangles,Living With Disability,Faltering Friendships,Crisis of Conscience
- Tone: Bittersweet,Downbeat,Humorous,Melancholy
- Keywords: Tourette Syndrome, artist, friendship, girlfriend, painting, pregnancy, relationship
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (11-09-2001)
- Language: English