Plot & Details
Bearing the same relationship to The Muppet Show that Fritz the Cat does to Felix the Cat, Meet the Feebles is a gleefully rude, decidedly adult comedy about the backstage goings-on amongst an eccentric group of puppets the day before their televised variety special. Made by director Peter Jackson, creator of Bad Taste and Heavenly Creatures, the film features a wide ensemble of creatures known as "The Feebles," led by a walrus named Bletch, the show's gruff, corrupt producer. Amongst the central figures are Heidi the Hippo, the show's prima donna singer; the fey fox Sebastian, who acts as the show's director; and the lovable (and love-struck) Robert the Hedgehog. Other cast members include a sex-crazed rabbit suffering from VD, a junkie frog prone to Vietnam War flashbacks, and a rat who directs porno movies in the theater's basement. Romantic jealousies, drug deals gone wrong, murders, and other scandalous activities all threaten to wreak havoc amongst the cast, with all these problems reaching their climax on the evening of the big show (which comes complete with musical numbers). The film's extremely dark sense of humor is supported by skillful gross-out effects and a winningly irreverent attitude.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/19/1995
- DVD Release Date: 03/26/2002
- Distributor(s): South Gate Entertainment
- Director(s): Peter Jackson
- Starring: Donna Akersten , Stuart Devenie , Mark Hadlow , Ross Jolly , Brian Sergent
- Themes: Down on Their Luck,Prostitutes
- Tone: Cynical,Irreverent,Satirical,Lurid,Harsh,Quirky,Outrageous,Disturbing
- Keywords: VD (Venereal Disease), Vietnam, behind-the-scenes, corruption, pornography, puppet [doll]
- Language: English