Plot & Details
After making a living by providing English subtitle translation to numerous French films, American filmmaker Andrew Litvack makes his debut as a writer/director with the Merchant Ivory production Merci Docteur Rey. Set in Paris, this farcical comedy involves the troubles of young gay man Thomas (Stanislas Merhar). First his opera diva mother, Elisabeth (Dianne Wiest), comes for a visit and she doesn't know he's gay. When he accepts a blind date with someone from an online chat room, he ends up witnessing a murder and possibly discovering the identity of his real father. Eventually he ends up telling his story to a therapist, who is instead replaced by unstable voice-over actress Penelope (Jane Birkin). Also includes cameo appearances by Vanessa Redgrave, Simon Callow, Bulle Ogier, and Jerry Hall. Merci Docteur Rey was shown at the 2002 Mill Valley Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Foreign
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/17/2004
- DVD Release Date: 08/09/2005
- Distributor(s): Regent Ent.
- Director(s): Andrew Litvack
- Starring: Dianne Wiest , Jane Birkin , Stanislas Merhar , Bulle Ogier , Karim Saleh
- Themes: Assumed Identities,Witnessing a Crime,Unlikely Criminals,Mothers and Sons
- Tone: Literate,Madcap,Silly
- Keywords: blind-date, homosexual, murder, opera-singer, therapist, witness
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-17-2004)
- Language: English,French