Plot & Details
Joel and Ethan Coen's third collaboration, the gangster film Miller's Crossing, stars Gabriel Byrne as Tom Reagan, the right-hand man of big-city Irish mob boss Leo (Albert Finney). The film opens with Italian mobster Johnny Caspar (Jon Polito) and his second in command Eddie Dane (J.E. Freeman) informing Leo and Tom that they are going to kill bookie Bernie Bernbaum (John Turturro) because he has been revealing Caspar's fixed fights to other gamblers. Leo informs Caspar that Bernie pays for protection and is not to be touched. After the Italians leave in a huff, Tom informs Leo that he should give up Bernie. Tom and Leo are both involved with Verna (Marcia Gay Harden), Bernie's sister. After a failed hit on Leo starts a full-scale mob war, Tom reveals to Leo the truth about his relationship with Verna. This leads to a falling-out between the pair. Tom goes to work for Caspar, but in truth, he is still loyal to Leo. Tom figures out how to manipulate all of the situations so that Leo survives, but this may cost Tom his relationship with Verna.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/18/1990
- DVD Release Date: 05/20/2003
- Distributor(s): 20th Century Fox
- Director(s): Joel Coen
- Starring: Gabriel Byrne , Albert Finney , Marcia Gay Harden , Jon Polito , John Turturro
- Themes: Dishonor Among Thieves,Criminal's Revenge,Feuds
- Tone: Quirky,Tense,Witty,Elegant,Atmospheric,Literate,Stylized
- Keywords: Irish-American,Italian-American,double-cross,friendship,gang-war,mob-boss
- Country of Origin: USA (09-22-1990)
- Language: English