Plot & Details
From Julian Schnabel, Academy Award nominated director of 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, 'Before Night Falls' and 'Basquiat, comes 'Miral, the story of four women whose lives intertwine in the starkly human search for justice, hope and reconciliation amid a world overshadowed by conflict, rage and war. The story begins in war-torn Jerusalem in 1948 when Hind Husseini (Hiam Abbass, 'The Visitor', 'Amreeka) opens an orphanage for refugee children that quickly becomes home to 2000 orphans. One of the children is seventeen year old Miral (Freida Pinto, 'Slumdog Millionaire') who arrived at the orphanage 10 years earlier, following her mother's tragic death. On the cusp of the Intifada resistance, Miral is assigned to teach at a refugee camp where she falls for a fervent political activist, Hani (Omar Metwally, 'Munich, 'Rendition) and finds herself in a personal battle that mirrors the greater dilemma around her: to fight like those before her or follow Mama Hind's defiant belief that education will pave a road to peace.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 112min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/25/2011
- DVD Release Date: 07/12/2011
- Distributor(s): The Weinstein Company
- Director(s): Julian Schnabel
- Starring: Willem Dafoe , Freida Pinto , Vanessa Redgrave , Omar Metwally , Yasmine Al Masri
- Themes: Self-Destructive Romance,Race Relations,Journey of Self-Discovery,Orphans
- Tone: Earnest,Reflective
- Keywords: Palestine,awakening,orphanage,social-awareness,social-injustice,teenagers
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (03-25-2011)
- Language: Hebrew,Arabic,English