Plot & Details
A servant with no experience ends up teaching the master of the house a thing or two in this comedy. Molly Barry (Gracie Fields) is a struggling actress who is short on money and needs paying work. When she learns that John Graham (Monty Woolley), a wealthy and respected former politician, needs a housekeeper, Molly figures that being a maid can't be that much different than playing one, and she takes the job. However, the straight-laced and prickly Graham has a habit of rubbing people the wrong way, having driven away his wife and seriously alienated his son Jimmy (Roddy McDowell). Graham's butler Peabody (Reginald Gardiner) is one of the only people willing to stand by him. But Molly tolerates no nonsense from Graham and teaches him how to better get along with people, including his son. Meanwhile, as various members of the staff quit, Molly begins to replace them with old friends from her days in the theater, until Graham's estate is practically a refuge for out-of-work thespians (Molly also makes a surprise discovery about Peabody's work history). Molly and Me also features several songs sung by Gracie Fields, a major musical comedy star in Great Britain. This proved to be her last feature film, though she remained active in television and on the stage.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 76min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/11/2006
- Distributor(s): 20th
- Director(s): Lewis Seiler
- Starring: Gracie Fields , Monty Woolley , Roddy McDowall , Reginald Gardiner , Natalie Schafer
- Themes: Servants and Employers,Actor's Life
- Tone: Sweet
- Keywords: actor,blackmail,employer/employee,estrangement,maid,parent/child-relationship,son