Elisabeth Shue stars in this drama as Molly McKay, a mentally challenged woman who has suffered from autism since childhood. Institutionalized since the age of three, Molly is released at age 28 into the custody of her brother Buck (Aaron Eckhart), whom she hasn't seen since childhood. While Buck cares for his sister, she is in many ways a stranger to him, and he's having enough problems in his life at the moment. When Buck is told by doctors of a risky experimental surgery that could cure Molly, he gives his consent. The operation is a success, and Molly emerges with the emotional walls of autism removed, revealing her to be a genius. But the autistic personality's intense concentration remains, and Buck finds the new Molly nearly as challenging as the old one. Molly's supporting cast includes D.W. Moffett, Jill Hennessy, and Thomas Jane; it was the first credit for screenwriter Dick Christie.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/22/1999
- DVD Release Date: 04/25/2000
- Distributor(s): MGM/UA
- Themes: Doctors and Patients,Finding the Cure,Living With Disability,Sibling Relationships
- Tone: Affectionate,Bittersweet,Earnest,Heartwarming,Humorous,Sentimental,Warm
autism, brother, custody, genius, operation, personality, sister
- Country of Origin: USA (10-22-1999)
- Language: English