Plot & Details
A socially inept young woman slowly learns to overcome her insecurities in this sleeper hit from Australia. The unconventional Muriel (Toni Collette) is deeply unsatisfied with her life, stuck in the nowhere town of Porpoise Spit and feeling rejected by her friends and family. Believing herself unattractive and worthless, she seeks meager solace in ABBA songs and fantasies of gorgeous weddings, with herself as the bride. Muriel's life takes a turn for the better, however, when she befriends the carefree Rhonda (Rachel Griffiths), who encourages her to take control of her life. Together, the two women travel to Sydney, where a series of liberating experiences help Muriel develop self-esteem and take the first steps towards maturity.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Comedy
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/10/1995
- DVD Release Date: 05/18/1999
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Director(s): P.J. Hogan
- Starring: Toni Collette , Bill Hunter , Rachel Griffiths , Sophie Lee , Rosalind Hammond
- Themes: Fathers and Daughters,Wedding Bells,Cinderella Stories,Women's Friendship
- Tone: Rousing,Upbeat,Bright,Light,Humorous,Quirky
- Keywords: extramarital-affair,family,father,friendship,maturity,self-esteem,small-town,wedding,woman
- Language: English