Plot & Details
Featuring Jennifer Lopez in her first major big-screen role, Gregory Nava's My Family traces three generations of the Sanchez's, a Mexican-American family living in East Los Angeles. Beginning in the 1930s, the film outlines the struggles faced by Jose (Jacob Vargas) and Maria (Lopez) as a recently immigrated married couple raising a family. As Jose and Maria age, the focus shifts to their son, Jimmy (Jimmy Smits), as he starts his own family in the 1960s. While Lopez' role was uncredited, she was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for her performance. My Family has also been released under the titles My Family, Mi Familia, Cafe Con Leche, and East L.A.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 125min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/03/1995
- DVD Release Date: 04/06/2004
- Director(s): Gregory Nava
- Themes: Immigrant Life
- Tone: Heartwarming,Poignant,Sweeping,Warm,Stirring,Earthy
- Keywords: activism,family,generation,generation-gap,illegal-alien,immigrant,journey,nun,pregnancy,priest,reunion,revolution,survivor,tradition
- Language: English