Plot & Details
An utterly enchanting Technicolor filmization of Mary O'Hara's novel, My Friend Flicka is the story of a beautiful colt and the boy (Roddy McDowell) who loves her. The boy's rancher father (Preston S. Foster) isn't keen on the horse that his son chooses to train: Flicka, the offspring of a tempestuous mare that has shown traces of madness. The training of Flicka is an arduous process for both boy and horse, and there are times that it appears that father was right. But by applying both love and perseverance, the boy raises the colt into a magnificent specimen. My Friend Flicka was filmed in the Rocky Mountains on a near-epic scale by director Harold Schuster and cinematographer Dewey Wrigley. The film was popular enough to spawn two theatrical sequels and a 1956 weekly TV series.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Family
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/05/2008
- DVD Release Date: 03/11/2003
- Distributor(s): 20th
- Director(s): Harold D. Schuster
- Starring: Roddy McDowall , Preston S. Foster , Rita Johnson , Jeff Corey , James Bell
- Themes: Obsessive Quests,Fathers and Sons,Horses
- Tone: Bittersweet,Sweet,Earnest,Sentimental,Warm
- Keywords: boy, horse, horse-trainer, parent/child-relationship, ranch
- Language: English