Plot & Details
The sponsorship of noted filmmaker Martin Scorsese helped the novice filmmakers making this film get it produced and receive mainstream distribution. In addition, it features a vast number of appearances by well-known performers, who took an interest in the project, taking union minimum pay. In the story, Jake (Eric Stoltz) has grown up in a wonderfully neurotic household. It is just as well that he has developed a fondness for drama, as this material is excellent fodder for his playwriting. He has spent a lot of time collaborating with his friend Chris (Ralph Macchio) writing plays, and eventually is given his chance to prove his stuff in New York City. There, he discovers that Chris wants to be more than just a friend, and an important stage actress (Kathleen Turner) also has the hots for him.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/13/1994
- DVD Release Date: 09/07/2004
- Distributor(s): Fine Line
- Director(s): Dan Algrant
- Starring: Eric Stoltz , Mary-Louise Parker , Ralph Macchio , Jill Clayburgh , Tony Curtis
- Themes: Writer's Life
- Tone: Quirky,Talky,Witty,Wry,Ironic
- Keywords: actor, backstage, career, decision, extramarital-affair, love, playwright, producer [showbiz], relationship, writing, May-December-romance, big-city, coming-of-age, stage
- Language: English