Plot & Details
A man sets out to steal a lost fortune in order to save it in this adventure drama from producer Jerry Bruckheimer. Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicolas Cage) is an archeologist who is from the eighth generation of a family who has shared an unusual quest. As Gates-family legend has it, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin hid a massive cache of gold during the waning days of the Revolutionary War and left clues as to its whereabouts in the original drafts of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. With no firm proof that it actually exists, Gates sets out to crack the code that will lead him to the fortune, which, as a member of the Gates clan, he is sworn to protect from wrongdoers. National Treasure also features Sean Bean, Harvey Keitel, Justin Bartha, and Jon Voight.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 130min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/19/2004
- DVD Release Date: 05/03/2005
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): Jon Turteltaub
- Starring: Nicolas Cage , Diane Kruger , Justin Bartha , Sean Bean , Jon Voight
- Themes: Obsessive Quests,Fathers and Sons,Dishonor Among Thieves,Priceless Artifacts and Prized Objects,Treasure Hunts
- Tone: Humorous,Light,Frantic,Rousing,Slick
- Keywords: Constitution,Declaration-of-Independence,adventurer,archaeology,curator,treasure,treasure-hunt
- Country of Origin: USA (11-19-2004)
- Language: English