Plot & Details
Action director John Sturges had a few good films behind him (Bad Day at Black Rock, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral) and a few more to come (The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven) when he put together this colorful story of wartime romance. In addition to his talents as a director, this saga of an American Captain stationed with his Allied command in Burma during World War II is helped by a stellar cast. Frank Sinatra is Captain Tom Reynolds who is supposed to be battling the Japanese in Burma but gets side-tracked when his unit and his Kachin allies are attacked by Chiang Kai-shek's forces. In supporting roles are Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen (about to make his mark on the big screen), Gina Lollobrigida, Peter Lawford, Brian Donlevy, and several others. After General Chiang's attack, Captain Reynolds leads the remainder of his men into Nationalist Chinese territory for a fast retaliation -- basically a wholesale slaughter. He is called on the carpet for this action later, and his would-be love, Carla Vesari (Lollobrigida) is suddenly faced with a decision to stay with her current man (Paul Heinreid) or take off for the unknown USA with the American Captain.
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,War
- Run Time: 124min.
- DVD Release Date: 05/31/2005
- Distributor(s): MGM
- Director(s): John Sturges
- Starring: Frank Sinatra , Gina Lollobrigida , Peter Lawford , Steve McQueen , Richard Johnson
- Themes: Love Triangles,Military Life
- Tone: Forceful,Tense
- Keywords: Japan, battle [war], guerrilla, officer, romance, troops, against-all-odds, territory, war