Plot & Details
An independent romantic comedy, Next Stop, Wonderland (1998) made headlines at the Sundance Film Festival when it became the object of a bidding war, ultimately won by Miramax Pictures to the tune of $6 million. Hope Davis stars as Erin Castleton, a night-shift nurse who's cruelly dumped by her boyfriend Sean (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a political activist. When her mother Piper (Holland Taylor) places a wildly inaccurate personals ad in the local paper, Erin is at first enraged, but then becomes curious. After she dates a variety of men who are all wrong for her, she meets Andre (Jose Zuniga), a handsome Brazilian music expert who invites her to Sao Paulo. Although Erin likes Andre, her Mr. Right is actually Alan Monteiro (Alan Gelfant), a plumber she's never met, though the two keep crossing paths. Trying to break out of his working class existence, Alan is studying marine biology but is indebted to a local mob boss, who wants him to kidnap a star blowfish from the local aquarium. Actress Taylor, the real-life aunt of co-writer, editor and director Brad Anderson, also appeared in his next film, Happy Accidents (1999).
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Comedy
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/21/1998
- DVD Release Date: 05/09/2000
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Director(s): Brad Anderson
- Starring: Hope Davis , Alan Gelfant , Victor Argo , H. Jon Benjamin , Cara Buono
- Themes: Cons and Scams,Women's Friendship,Looking For Love,Single Life,Mothers and Daughters
- Tone: Madcap,Fanciful,Upbeat,Affectionate,Easygoing,Wry,Bright,Humorous,Quirky,Light,Whimsical
- Keywords: activism, aquarium, break-up [romantic], fish [animal], nurse, personal-ad, working-class
- Country of Origin: USA (09-04-1998)
- Language: English