Carol Fuchs adapts writer/director Sandra Nettelbeck's screenplay for the 2001 romantic drama Mostly Martha for this Scott Hicks directed remake starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart, and Patricia Clarkson. Kate Armstrong (Jones) is the master chef who is equally intense both in and out of the kitchen. Though Kate's "Type A" personality serves her well when whipping up meals in the trendy Manhattan eatery where she has made a name for herself, it threatens to sink her when she is named as the guardian of her nine-year-old niece Zoe (Little Miss Sunshine's Abigail Breslin). To complicate matters, an impetuous new sous chef named Nick Palmer (Eckhart) has recently joined the kitchen staff and his freewheeling personality seems to stand in direct opposition to Kate's unwavering perfectionism. Yet, despite the fact that they couldn't be more different on the surface, there's no denying the strong attraction between Kate and Nick. As the rivalry between the competitive cooks gradually gives way to romance, the lessons learned by compromising in the kitchen reveal to Kate the importance of learning to openly express herself in order to truly connect with Zoe and find romance with the good-natured Nick.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/27/2007
- DVD Release Date: 02/12/2008
- Distributor(s): Warner Bros.
- Themes: Non-Traditional Families,Cooks and Chefs,Single Parents,Opposites Attract,Death in the Family,Workplace Romance
- Tone: Sentimental,Intimate,Autumnal,Wistful
chef, eccentric, niece, restaurant
- Country of Origin: USA (07-27-2007)
- Language: English