Plot & Details
Michael Frayn's frantic West End and Broadway farce makes a literal transformation to the screen in Peter Bogdanoch's faithful adaptation, which is transplanted from the London suburbs to Des Moines, Iowa to accommodate the (mostly) American cast. Michael Caine stars as director Lloyd Fellowes, assigned to bring the successful British sex farce "Nothing On" to the boards in America. In an intricate technical rehearsal, Lloyd puts his cast through their paces -- Garry Lejuene (John Ritter), an obliging feature actor; Dotty Otley (Carol Burnett), a fading theatrical star; Frederick Dallas (Christopher Reeve), a handsome leading man who demands to know the motivation behind every scene; Brooke Ashton (Nicollette Sheridan), the sexy leading lady; Belinda Blair (Marilu Henner), the seen-it-all second female lead; and Seldson Mawbray (Denholm Elliot), the inebriated character actor. The technical rehearsal goes off without a hitch, but as the play travels the country in pre-Broadway performances, the eccentricities of the cast come to the fore and the performances in Des Moines and Cleveland are complete disasters.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/20/1992
- DVD Release Date: 05/04/2004
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): Peter Bogdanovich
- Starring: Carol Burnett , Michael Caine , Denholm Elliott , Marilu Henner , Julie Hagerty
- Themes: Nothing Goes Right,Actor's Life
- Tone: Bright,Deadpan,Goofy,Humorous,Light,Madcap,Frantic,Silly
- Keywords: actor, backstage, performer, behind-the-scenes, rehearsal, stage, theater-troupe
- Country of Origin: USA (03-20-1992)
- Language: English