Plot & Details
Two of Italy's top comics, Massimo Troisi and Roberto Benigni teamed up to write (with Giuseppe Bertolucci), direct, and star in this comedy about two men accidentally thrown back to the year 1492. In a series of comic sketches, two friends, Saverio (Benigni) and Mario (Troisi) suddenly find themselves in 1492 while on a drive in the Italian countryside. Saverio is enthusiastic, but Mario just wants a ticket home, until he meets the nubile Pia (Amanda Sandrelli). Then Saverio suggests that if they can prevent Christopher Columbus from sailing to the New World, America would never be discovered and the Native Americans would not suffer. Along with this scheme come skits like Saverio explaining a few modern machines to Leonardo Da Vinci. In-between these highlights are lower ebbs in the comic flow, making the end result slightly under the capabilities of both comedians.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 113min.
- Director(s): Roberto Benigni, Massimo Troisi
- Starring: Massimo Troisi , Roberto Benigni , Amanda Sandrelli
- Themes: Fish Out of Water,Time Travel
- Tone: Goofy,Humorous,Irreverent
- Keywords: Native-American, discovery, prevention, suffering, time-travel
- Country of Origin: Italy (12-20-1984)
- Language: Italian