Plot & Details
A young surfing prodigy enlists the expertise of an old pro in order to conquer a truly epic wave in this drama detailing the incredible true story of surfer Jay Moriarity (Jonny Weston). A Santa Cruz teen with a natural born talent for surfing, Moriarty can't resist the temptation to conquer the mountainous Mavericks surf break. Moriarty realizes that his lack of experience could spell doom while attempting such a formidable feat, so in order to ensure that he's well prepared he seeks the wisdom of veteran surfer Frosty Hesson (Gerard Butler). Meanwhile, as Hesson teaches Moriarty how to stay balanced and focused in the face of danger, the two surfers establish a close bond that gives them the strength to face any challenge. Elisabeth Shue and Abigail Spencer co-star.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 115min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/26/2012
- DVD Release Date: 02/26/2013
- Distributor(s): 20th Century Fox
- Director(s): Curtis Hanson
- Starring: John Weston , Jonny Weston , Gerard Butler , Elisabeth Shue , Abigail Spencer
- Themes: Surfing,Mentors,Haunted By the Past,Fathers and Sons,In Training
- Tone: Earnest,Intimate,Ominous,Poignant,Sentimental,Stirring
- Keywords: bully,champion,mentor,surfing,friendship,ocean,prodigy,surrogate-parent,accident,accidental-death,diving
- Country of Origin: USA (10-26-2012)
- Language: English