Plot & Details
Adapted by Larry Gelbart from the novel by Avery Corman, the film stars John Denver as Jerry Landers, the assistant manager of a grocery store who is chosen by God (George Burns) to spread the Word to the rest of the world. Not surprisingly, Jerry is soon labelled a basket case: even his loving wife Bobbie (Teri Garr) doubts her husband's sanity. But there's enough evidence on Jerry's side for a panel of prominent clerics to demand that the hapless fellow prove in court that he's the agent of God. Donald Pleasence was supposed to have an extended supporting role in the film, but the first cut ran too long, and Pleasence's dialogue was eliminated -- but not Pleasence himself, who retains his prominent billing and is seen doing precisely nothing in several scenes. Netting $30 million on its first run, Oh God was followed by two lesser sequels, both featuring Burns.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Fantasy
- Run Time: 97min.
- DVD Release Date: 07/09/2002
- Director(s): Carl Reiner
- Starring: George Burns , John Denver , Teri Garr , Donald Pleasence , Ralph Bellamy
- Themes: Fish Out of Water,Miraculous Events
- Tone: Easygoing,Heartwarming,Quirky,Sweet,Whimsical,Fanciful,Wry
- Keywords: God,evangelism,faith,goodwill,grocer,hope,laziness,messenger,religion,sanity,supermarket,televangelist,trial [courtroom]
- Language: English