Plot & Details
Clive Donner directs Oliver Twist, the 1982 made-for-TV version of the classic Dickens novel. Richard Charles plays Oliver Twist, an orphan boy who gets kicked out of his juvenile workhouse when he asks for some more food. He is sent to work as an apprentice, but he quickly escapes and joins a group of other orphaned boys. They spend the day pickpocketing and commiting petty street crime in order to survive and bring home earnings to their leader, Fagin (George C. Scott). Eventually, Oliver picks the pocket of the wealthy Mr. Brownlow (Michael Hordern), who takes him in as his ward. However, the evil Bill Sikes (Tim Curry) kidnaps him back to continue working with the other pickpockets. The barmaid Nancy (Cherie Lunghi) helps Oliver escape, but she ultimately suffers the concequences of her actions.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 104min.
- Director(s): Clive Donner
- Starring: George C. Scott , Tim Curry , Michael Hordern , Timothy West , Eileen Atkins
- Themes: Orphans,Down on Their Luck
- Tone: Bleak,Poignant,Sentimental
- Keywords: ancestry, boy, orphan, poverty, criminal, family, hunger [food], life-of-crime, pickpocket, street-hustler, street-life, street-smart, survivor, vagabond
- Language: English