Plot & Details
Vincente Minnelli directed, and Alan Jay Lerner adapted the stage musical he had written with Burton Lane, for this this feature film version. Barbra Streisand stars as Daisy Gamble, a chain smoker who, at the urging of her uptight fiance Warren (Larry Blyden), seeks help in kicking the habit from a psychiatrist, Dr. Marc Chabot (Yves Montand). While undergoing hypnosis, however, Daisy and Dr. Chabot discover that she is clairvoyant and can remember a past life as a 19th century heiress named Melinda. As their sessions continue, Dr. Chabot falls in love not with Daisy, but Melinda, while Daisy begins to fall for Chabot and decides she's had enough of Warren. Excised from the final cut of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970) was a musical number performed by Jack Nicholson, who costars as Daisy's stepbrother.
- MPAA Rating: G
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Musicals,Romance
- Run Time: 129min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/20/2003
- DVD Release Date: 02/22/2005
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Vincente Minnelli
- Starring: Barbra Streisand , Yves Montand , Bob Newhart , Larry Blyden , Simon Oakland
- Themes: Doctors and Patients,Reincarnation
- Tone: Affectionate,Fanciful,Light,Stylized,Upbeat
- Keywords: flashback, hypnosis, musical [play], patient [medical], power, psychiatry, reincarnation, smoking, trance, love, past, therapist
- Language: English