Plot & Details
Shane Meadows directed this film, which is the third and final chapter in his Nottingham Trilogy which also includes 1999's A Room for Romeo Brass and 1997's Twentyfourseven. Starring The Full Monty's Robert Carlyle, Once Upon a Time in the Midlands is a twist on the traditional Western film, transplanting the action to modern-day Nottingham, England. Jimmy (Carlyle) is a small-time criminal who comes back into town after seeing his old girlfriend turn down a marriage proposal on television. Rhys Ifan (Notting Hill) co-stars as Dek, the jilted proposer who looks to stop Jimmy from rekindling the relationship. Once Upon a Time in the Midlands screened as part of the Director's Fortnight at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action,Drama
- Run Time: 103min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/29/2003
- DVD Release Date: 02/10/2004
- Distributor(s): Sony
- Director(s): Shane Meadows
- Starring: Robert Carlyle , Rhys Ifans , Kathy Burke , Shirley Henderson , Ricky Tomlinson
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Haunted By the Past,Starting Over,Love Triangles
- Tone: Quirky,Bright,Sentimental,Easygoing,Sweet
- Keywords: criminal, love-triangle, marriage, return
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (08-29-2003)
- Language: English