Independent filmmaker Chris Kentis directs the dramatic thriller Open Water, based on a true story. Susan (Blanchard Ryan) and Daniel (Daniel Travis) are a busy married couple on an island vacation. They board a vessel called the Reef Explorer with a group of other scuba divers, traveling 15 miles out to sea. Since they are certified to dive in open waters, the couple breaks off from the group to go exploring. The Reef Explorer accidentally leaves without a proper head count, leaving them stranded in shark-infested waters. Kentis and producer wife Laura Lau did all the filming themselves in the actual ocean without extraneous special effects, while the actors wore special steel-mesh under their wetsuits in the scenes where actual sharks were involved. Open Water was shown at the Sundance Film Festival in 2004 as part of the American Spectrum competition.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror
- Run Time: 79min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/06/2004
- DVD Release Date: 12/28/2004
- Distributor(s): Lions Gate Films
Michael E. Williamson
- Themes: When Animals Attack,Nightmare Vacations,Terror in the Water
- Tone: Disturbing,Menacing,Tense,Visceral
husband-and-wife, lost-at-sea, man-vs-nature, ocean, scuba-diving, shark, stranded
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (08-06-2004),USA (08-20-2004)
- Language: English