Plot & Details
John Cassavetes' Opening Night stars Gena Rowlands (Mrs. Cassavetes) as end-of-tether Broadway actress Myrtle Gordon. She is about to open in a play written by her old friend Sarah Goode (Joan Blondell), but a series of pre-show setbacks and disasters threaten to destroy not only the production but Myrtle's sanity. The actress is especially rattled when one of her staunchest fans dies in an accident. In the face of bleak reality, just how important is the old "show must go on" ethic? Supporting Gena Rowlands are such veterans of the New York-Hollywood shuttle as Ben Gazzara, Zohra Lampert, Paul Stewart, James Karen, and several friends and relatives of the principals.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 144min.
- DVD Release Date: 04/14/1998
- Director(s): John Cassavetes
- Starring: Gena Rowlands , Ben Gazzara , John Cassavetes , Joan Blondell , Paul Stewart
- Themes: Alcoholism,Actor's Life
- Tone: Cathartic,Downbeat,Intimate,Reflective,Talky
- Keywords: actor, alcohol, mental-breakdown, play [drama], production [showbiz]
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1977||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama||Gena Rowlands||Nominated|
|1977||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture||Joan Blondell||Nominated|